Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cendol, a guest post from Marvie @Lekkericious

I proudly present to you, the first guest post on my blog ! Let's say it's an exchange post. After my guest post on her blog few months ago, and now it's her turn to write something on my blog. :D Marvie Yap from Lekkericious is a dear Filipino friend who has a lot of activities. From Software QA Engineer, make-up artist, cook, cat rescuer and food blogger. I can imagine she is extremely busy. :) Though we never met, but we still can be best friend. This is one of the reason what makes me happy for having friends from around the world.

Once Marvie told me that she loves cendol on my photo of cendol on Flickr but she couldn't find the seller near the neighborhood. So, I appreciate that she finally tried to make it. Nothing can beat homemade ! Without further ado, I welcome Marvie to show her cendol feast.

*************************************************************************************

I first learned about cendol in Holland, during my summer visit in 2009. It was funny to have the first taste of this asian delicacy in a western country, when I have lived all my life in Asia. Es Cendol is a green, worm-like jellies made from rice flour, tapioca flour and mung bean flour served with coco palm sugar syrup, coconut milk and shaved ice, topped with jackfruit - a very popular drink/dessert in Indonesia. Cendol was a love at first taste experience. I was in constant search for it here in Manila, but unfortunately, it's not available anywhere. I find it odd that I could never find it in any of my favourite Asian restaurants around the city when it is super popular in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam, our neighboring countries.

Marvie's Cendol

So I did a little research how to make it for myself and for my husband who also loves this Indonesian delicacy.

Finding the right ingredients was a bit of a challenge for me though - gula jawa and mung bean flour in particular. I scoured all specialty Asian shops for these and didn't have any success. Nevertheless, I found coco sugar, the closest alternative I can get for gula jawa, although in my opinion, gula jawa's sweetness complexity still is the best. I gave up on mung bean flour and settled for the rice flour and tapioca flour combo - which ended up in a disaster. My cendol just melted a few minutes after it's submerged in the ice water. Although most Indonesian cendol recipe say it's just rice and tapioca flour, for some reason I couldn't succeed. So I thought the mung bean flour was the only key, and I don't have it.  After numerous attempts with rice flour and tapioca flour in different proportions, I finally called it off and decided to wait on my cendol dreams. But thanks to Tika, she revived my cendol hopes and sent me that precious mung bean flour. I finally made my first successful cendol!

Marvie's Cendol

Cendol
In this recipe, I only used mung bean flour

Ingredients:

Cendol Jellies
- 80g mung bean flour
- 500ml water
- green food coloring
- pandan leaves (or pandan flavor)
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- iced water in a bowl
- colander

Coconut Milk

- Kara Coconut Cream (or better, fresh coconut and get the "kakang gata" or the first milk)
- pandan leaves
- salt

Syrup
- 250 coco sugar, or coco palm sugar
- 250ml water
- Pandan leaves

Cendol Jellies Preparation :

1. Dissolve the mung bean flour in 500ml water.
2. Add few drops of green food coloring until you reach the color of electric green. You may also use pandan leaves to make the color natural.(To do this, put pandan and 500ml of water in a blender. Sieve and
take the liquid extract and use that to dissolve the mung bean flour).
3. Add sugar and 1 tbsp of pandan flavor, stir until dissolve.
4. Set your stove in low heat and begin stirring the mixture in a pot. Continuously stir until it thickens.
5. When it's paste like and super thick turn off the heat and get ready to mold!
6. Put the colander on top of the iced water.
7. Pour the cendol thick mixture on the colander and start scraping back and forth with a use of a spatula. The holes in the colander will serve as your mold to make that little green worms. DO NOT WAIT TOO
LONG, otherwise when it gets cold it will be hard to mold.
8. When done, set aside.

Syrup Preparation :
1. Combine coco sugar and 250ml water in a pot, in low heat.
2. Stir until sugar's dissolve.
3. Make a knot out of about 4 pandan leaves and simmer it together
with the sugar. If you don't have pandan leaves, just add 1 tbsp of
pandan flavor.

Coconut Milk Preparation :
1. Heat the coconut cream (kakang gata) in a pot using low-heat.
2. Add about 2 tbsp. pandan flavor, or make a knot out of pandan
leaves and put it in the milk.
3. Add a dash of salt.
4. Turn of the stove when it starts to bubble.

To serve:

In a glass or bowl, layer it with coco sugar syrup, cendol jellies,
crushed ice, and coconut milk. You can top it with fruits like langka
(jackfruit) or banana. Add more cendol jellies on top if you wish.

4 comments:

  1. That looks amazing! A drink I'd love to try. A lovely guest post.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waduuuh, ampe terharu aku bacanya mbak Tika...
    Perjuangannya untuk bisa merasakan kembali jajanan favorit...yg notabene khas Indo. Saluutt!!
    Salut juga ama Mbak Tika yg udah nolongin mengirimkan bahan...

    Fotonya cantik...cendolnya kayak mie ya *penasaran pake cetakan apa*...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hesti, i just used a ziplock bag and poked holes in it and piped the cendol mixture on a pot of iced water (i google-translated your comment since I don't speak Bahasa) :). Thanks!

    And thank you Tika for posting! I feel honoured to guest on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rosa : Thanks very much and for being such a nice blogger friend
    @Hesti : Udah dijawab langsung sama yang bikin cendol :)
    @Marvie : Thanks for answering Hesti's question. This is the moment I've been waiting for, finally I can post a guest post on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to leave comment on my post. I will respond as soon as I can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...